"Report of the Inspector of National Cemeteries," in United States Congressional Serial Set, Washington: United States Government Printing Office, 1866, HathiTrust.
"Report of the Inspector of National Cemeteries," in United States Congressional Serial Set, Washington: United States Government Printing Office, 1871, HathiTrust.
The Consequences of War: Burials at Alexandria National Cemetery
Alexandria National Cemetery, originally known as the Soldiers’ Cemetery, was founded in 1862 as one of the first national cemeteries in the country. The cemetery served a vital need as the town was home to one of the largest concentrations of military encampments and hospitals. The Assistant Quartermaster’s Office, which had the responsibility of providing the army with food, clothing, and other supplies, filed a report in January 1866 that listed the burials at the cemetery.
Five years later in 1871, the Office of the Secretary of War inspected the cemetery. The report stated that 29 Confederate prisoners of war, 249 colored Union soldiers, and 3,277 white Union soldiers were buried in the cemetery at that time. According to the report, “The remains of several have been removed by friends. Quite a large number of marble slabs have been erected also by friends.”
In 1879 the remains of 34 Confederate soldiers were removed from Alexandria National Cemetery and relocated to Christ Church Episcopal Cemetery at the request of the Southern Memorial Association of Alexandria.